Monday, May 3, 2010

Putting a price on your art

Art 4 Pocket Money exhibition. Photograph by Tim IrvingArt 4 Pocket Money exhibition

I attended an interesting show on Saturday by the artist John Williams at the Edmund Gallery in Bury St Edmunds. The show is called "Art 4 Pocket Money", it lives up to its billing with prints from £1, yes one pound for an A4 print, that's less than the cost of a sheet of good quality photographic paper. The most expensive art I saw was £35 for a 3D piece that had a lot of time and effort put into it.

The exhibition made me think of how we value our art, something most artists have problems with. Price it high and it becomes desirable, if not affordable. Price it low and the perceived value of buyers is that it's cheap. It's a very difficult balancing act. Obviously John Williams is not doing this for the money and I applaud him for putting his name to this, I wish him luck.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tim, Love the new blog, the jamcam print I think is really excellent, I don't get that sort of colour saturation from my nikon. keep it up, your still inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine there is so much to be considered when pricing one's own art. And because the decision to purchase art is often so deeply tied to personal taste, value is highly subjective. It's a matter of the right person seeing the piece.

    No matter how much I learn about art, in the end I either like something or I don't. And if I like it, I can either afford it or I can't. The price I paid for it may or may not align with its real value to me.

    Of course none of what I just said is of any use to those of you who rely on your art for income. But I will say that this fact has proven to be true for me: When an artist makes some of their art affordable to regular folk like me, it can start something. Once an original piece of art is acquired, even a modest piece, one craves more.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Google Plusone