Saturday, June 5, 2010

Brian Duffy dies aged 76

Photograph by DuffyReggie Kray and grandfather (1964) - Duffy

I'm sad to say that Brian Duffy has died.
Known simply as Duffy, he was one of three working class photographers who changed photography and art in the 1960's.

Duffy had a notoriously difficult personality and will be remembered for burning his negatives. Like Dennis Hopper who also died this week, I think this aspect of Duffy overshadowed his work which was a pity because he was a class act. Duffy had a beautiful mind, creative and erudite, we owe him a round of applause.

Photograph by DuffyDavid Bowie as Aladdin Sane (1973) - Duffy

1 comment:

  1. Just read a bit about him. I still have a huge wall collage of images from the "swinging sixties" on my guest bath wall. I don't think any of the shots were his, but he worked with the models shown in some of the vintage ads I found. Wickipedia says a documentary about him was released earlier this year. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Google Plusone