Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Untitled Images

Untitled. Photograph by Tim IrvingUntitled by Tim Irving

I enjoy looking at people. I think they are the most engaging of subjects, but if the subject is a celebrity, or at least well known, the job of looking is made very easy. I wonder how much we actually look at a familiar face!

What do you think of this photograph? Because you don't know the subjects you might be drawn to what the photograph says about their ways and human condition. You know nothing about these people, your imagination can take over, you can read anything you like into the photograph. For those with an imagination, rich pickings indeed.

I can see the appeal of untitled works, but if you must know the story I'm happy to share it.

3 comments:

  1. I posted.. where did it go.. lol.. ok.. here we go again. I too love to look at pictures of people and imagine what they saw or experienced and how they lived. I would love to hear the story of these people in your photo. Btw, I used to live in England, years ago, I lived near Saxmundham. My dad was stationed there for 3 years. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagination speaking: Their families were friends and were pleased when these two married in their early 20's. They live well but are not extravagant, perhaps even existing a bit below their means so as not to offend. Educated and adequately traveled, they have high expectations of their children but also of themselves. There is a deep bond and, in spite of their largely formal communication style, an intimate warmth and playfulness that still takes them both by surprise when it surfaces. I see elegance, pride, fearlessness, independence. But only one is living their dream. I cannot tell which as both are equally formidable. But I do think that the one who surrendered did so voluntarily and is content with the arrangement.

    Or, they are siblings. What's the real story?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog, and I am loving your photography! I love this photo because I love to think about their history. Who are they? Where are they? What are they doing? WHY are they not smiling? (lol) My grandpa was in WWII, and although I was only 2 1/2 when he passed on, I feel like I get to see his life from the pictures that he took while overseas during the war. I would LOVE to have a historian look at them and tell me about the areas he took them in, as he didn't label all of them. I love looking at the photos of the children playing in the streets in their wagons. You have to wonder what they were thinking back then, with the war going on and all the drama around them. Their faces are so innocent. There's always a story behind a picture, and that's why I love photography. Even the ones we may never know, its always fun to wonder, to make your own story. (And boy I'd LOVE to have that camera that my grandpa used back then! What a treasure that would have been!)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Google Plusone