Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Charles Darwin's Fish

Charles Darwin's Fish - Photograph by Tim Irving
Darwin's Fish - Tim Irving
I do like a good museum! Over the past few weeks I've been searching for, and exploring some of the less well known museums and galleries within a few miles from home. They've proved to be a good source of images for me and an excellent way to spend a day.


My last visit was to the Museum of Natural History at Cambridge University, where the photograph above was taken. It's a glorious place where a few hours can pass in a flash. It's quiet, the temperature is just right, the toilets are clean and photography is allowed. Added to that it's in the city centre so I can nip out for lunch.

This fish (Gerres oyena), was preserved and returned to Cambridge by Charles Darwin between 1831 and 1836.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful creature. A champagne-pink jewel.

    (If I was a mermaid, that's the color I'd want my scales to be)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Google Plusone