Wednesday, October 31, 2012

I Finally Sold My Old Bike

Yellow bike, Cambridge. Photograph by Tim Irving
A nice Bike in Cambridge
On Sunday I removed the front wheel from my bike, put the bike in the car and drove to the outskirts of Cambridge. There I removed the bike from the car, replaced the front wheel and rode my bike for the last time. I rode to the train station to meet a man who had travelled from London, by train to buy my bike.

I owned the bike for over twenty years but rarely (never), rode it. It moved houses when I moved, moved countries too. That bike has been all over Europe, but never ridden. It's gone now to a new home, to be ridden around London by a man who said he'd ride it with pride. Strangely I miss it.


1 comment:

  1. I felt that way when I gave away my guitar. It's not the presence of the instrument I miss, but the dreams and desires I had for myself surrounding it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Google Plusone